Sunday 4 November 2012

Slab Construction

 This is my first slab construction, i tried to do a slab of 10 in. the picture above is the template of my slab. I rolled a good amount of clay and brought it to the slab roller. After, I traced my template unto my clay. i measured the sides that i would be using to join my two slabs together. In order for the clay to work with me i had to let it get dry a bit to leather hard, so i left my slabs in my plastic til next class, i then joined the two slabs cutting the sides to an angle, score the clay so and put a generous amount of slip. scoring the clay will bind it together better.
 The picture above shows a bit of design done through pinching the clay
I did a cut out of a star and i tried to shape the clay so that the body bulges a bit just to give the body of my vase curves. It is then put on the shelve for firing.

 This is another slab construction that is still in the making, this is my original shape which i traced and cut out using news paper. I think using newspaper is easier to cut and work with instead of using card board as a stencil.
 This picture shows that i angled the clay and scored it so that it would bind better, after i added a generous amount of slip.

No comments:

Post a Comment